If you live in the UK, you probably know that it is practically impossible to buy spaghetti squash here... but, lo and behold, I managed to find one (in my new favourite shop Wholefoods)! After scouring the internet to find a recipe for this ingredient I will probably never have again, I didn't really see anything that would do it justice. So...in my usual fashion, I decided to experiment!
Behold: Healthy Vegan Spaghetti (Squash) Bolognese/ Moussaka!
If you haven't heard of spaghetti squash before, it is basically a winter squash which, when cooked, has flesh which separates to resemble strands of spaghetti. It is interesting to note here that both spaghetti and spaghetti squash share healthy features in that they are both high in fibre, vitamin B and iron whilst being low in unhealthy fats. Where spaghetti squash is lower in calories and higher in vitamins C, A and potassium, spaghetti contains a much higher quantity of folate and protein. Summing up here, spaghetti squash is a great alternative to pasta, also providing you with one of your five a day, but, although this is a 'low carb' meal, it is also important to get those extra carbs (take a look at Robyn's post on the importance of carbohydrates in the diet) that wholewheat pasta can provide. This recipe I have concocted will work well with both wholewheat spaghetti or spaghetti squash; only, you won't get the cool little spaghetti squash bowl in the pasta version ;)
Anyway, enough of my rambling on; here's the recipe!
|Cook the spaghetti squash.|
|Create the vegan bolognese.|
|Cook the courgette 'sheets' and mix together the 'béchamel sauce'|
|Layer it up! Cook for a further 10 minutes.|
|Top with a cherry tomato and fresh parsley | Enjoy!|
SPAGHETTI (SQUASH) MOUSSAKA BOLOGNESE
You will need:
- 1/2 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp pinto beans
- 150ml pasatta
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1tsp sweet chilli
- 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- dash tabasco
- 1tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 courgette, sliced lengthways
- 1tbsp greek yogurt (I used 0% Total Greek Yogurt, you could sub for vegan alternative)
- dash cinnamon
- seasoning to taste
1. Half the spaghetti squash, remove the seeds and prick the skin with a fork. Place in a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 175 C (GM 4 350 F) for 40 minutes.
2. Once cooked, scrape the flesh with a fork (spaghetti consistency) and put to the side
3. For the vegan bolognese, mash together 1 small finely chopped onion and 3 tbsp pinto beans.
4. Heat up in a wok and stir-fry for a couple of minutes before adding 150ml tomato pasatta, 1tbsp tomato purée, 1tsp sweet chilli, 1/2tsp Worcestershire sauce, dash Tabasco, 1 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp oregano and seasoning to taste.
5. Continue to cook on a peaking heat for a further 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
6. Slice 1/2 courgette into thin slices. Dry fry/ grill for 5 minutes, turning half way through.
7. For the 'béchamel sauce', simply mix 1tbsp greek yogurt (use mashed silken tofu or soy yogurt for vegan) and a dash of cinnamon (trust me!)
8. Layer it up! Place half of the bolognese in the empty spaghetti squash 'bowl' followed by the sliced courgette, half the spaghetti squash flesh, the remaining bolognese, the remaining squash and finally the béchamel sauce.
8. Cook for a further 10 minutes and top with a cherry tomato and fresh parsley.
Have you tried Spaghetti Squash before? What concoctions did you come up with?!