Don't you just love creating healthy alternatives that sometimes taste better than the real thing?! I certainly do! Inspired by Clean Spooning on instagram, I created this 4 ingredient Healthy, Fruity, Oaty Cinnamon Scroll.
This recipe is so versatile. For the filling, you can either use homemade apple puree or mashed banana.. Or both like me. Although apples are by far my favourite fruit, my favourite filling was actually the banana as it was a bit sweeter. You could pretty much put whatever filling you want in this though due to the fact that oats go with everything! Perhaps raspberries and blueberries, cherries, strawberry jam, honey, cacao, peach .. The choices are endless! Also, if you have a sweet tooth, I would maybe suggest mixing one or two dried dates into the oaty base.. Although I've not tried this myself yet.
Anyway, getting on with the recipe!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 40ml (4 dessert spoons) water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 apple: peeled, cored, chopped, cooked for three minutes with 1/2 tsp cinnamon then mashed
- and/or 1/2 banana, mashed with 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Combine oats, 1/2tsp cinnamon and water in a food processor, adding more oats or water if necessary, until a doughy mixture has formed.
2. Shape into a (5mm thick) square on a LINED (with parchment/ grease proof paper; you need this or it will stick) baking tray and spread filling on top.
3. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes at GM 6.
4. Remove and roll up (watching you don't burn your hands) ensuring it doesn't stick to the paper.
5. Bake for a further 5 minutes.
6. Decorate with fruit and nuts/ seeds/ anything really!
Enjoy for breakfast or dessert!
I'd love to hear your filling ideas!