Yesterday was my dad's 50th birthday and my mum and I made him a carrot cake. We got the recipe from one of my mum's friends and the cake turned out so well I just have to share the recipe with you all.
UPDATE: Had to add a better photo!
Ingredients for Cake
10oz caster sugar
8fl.oz sunflower seed oil (Leisure Oil - no cholesterol)
6oz flour (3oz plain, 3oz SR)
1.5tsp baking powder
1.5tsp ground cinnamon
0.5tsp ground cloves
0.5tsp sea salt
8oz finely grated carrots
4oz finely chopped walnuts
Ingredients for Frosting
3oz no fat cream cheese (Philadelphia)
3oz 0% greek yoghurt
2 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4.
- Put sugar in a large bowl and stir in the oil.
- Break in eggs, one at a time, beating each one until thoroughly mixed.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt into the mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Finally, stir in the carrots and chopped walnuts and spoon into a prepared round cake tin.
Bake in the oven for 70 minutes or until the top jumps back when pressed with finger. Cool on a rack.
To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese until soft and stir in the greek yoghurt, blending until smooth. When blended, add the sugar and stir again.
When cake is cooled spread the frosting over the top, smoothing with a palette knife, and decorate with walnuts if desired.
It sounds extremely fattening, and to be honest it probably is, but this cake is so delicious that it is entirely worth it!